Avalon House is a Luxury B&B in Castle Cary, Somerset.
The property is on the edge of the historic market town, and neighbours The Newt Hotel and the town of Bruton.
The accommodation is set on the secluded second floor of the house. It is made up of 2 double bedrooms with 2 bathrooms (one en-suite), a spacious sitting room with TV and Wi-Fi. You will have comfort, and privacy.
Downstairs, the family kitchen/dining room leads out to a peaceful garden with a sunny terrace and access to fields and walks on the land farmed and owned by The Newt, which is a short distance away.
Avalon House’s top floor suite is available for £250 per night, for a minimum of 2 nights, with a locally sourced full English breakfast included. This luxurious suite accommodates 4 adults or families with its own private sitting room. For more details please see our rates and booking terms.
For further information contact us
There is a bedroom at the front of the building, with views towards Glastonbury Tor (about 6 miles away) while the en suite bathroom overlooks the garden and farmland beyond.
The second double bedroom faces the garden, with views over the rolling hill behind, where you can spot the herd of British White cattle that are grazed there. This room has its own bathroom, also with beautiful country views.
There is also a private sitting room in Guinevere, with Sky TV, a large selection of books to enjoy, and a fridge with tea and coffee available, and a complimentary bottle of wine.
- Private top floor accommodation
- King & Queen size beds
- 2 Bathrooms
- Private Sitting room
- Sky, Netflix and free Wi-fi
- Free bottled water
- Complimentary bottle of wine
- Locally sourced homemade breakfast
Avalon House breakfast’s are homemade and come from locally sourced fresh ingredients. Our breakfasts are cooked for individual dietry requirements and include: traditional full english, smoked salmon, free range eggs – cooked how you like, homemade breads and preserves.
- The Bay Tree (01963 350989 – closest pub – 100 metres)
- The Bakehouse Tea Rooms. Good coffee and great cakes. Also very good Thai food for lunch and dinner – must book. (600 metres)
- The Orchard Inn, Galhampton. Good pub grub and friendly staff. (2 miles)
- The Newt (2 miles)
- The Montague Inn. Sean, the friendly landlord keeps a “good house”. Excellent local beers, bar snacks and good beer as well as a restaurant and beer terrace. (3.2 miles).
- Matt’s Kitchen. Wed-Friday for dinner only. Take your own wine. Quirky, single dish permanent pop-up restaurant. Always check their menu because there is no main course alternative to the published menu(5 miles)
- At The Chapel. This is the bar/restaurant/bistro that put Bruton on the map. Fab food, lovely staff and an ambience to die for. Booking is essential for a meal although it is worth just dropping in for a drink as well (5 miles)
- The Roth Bar and Grill. On the same site as Hauser & Wirth Somerset so kill two birds…Must book for lunch and dinner. Music dancing and cocktails on Friday nights. (6 miles)
- The Queens Arms. In the charming village of Corton Denham. Honest country pub with good food, bar snacks, a pleasant terrace and well-kept beer (6.5 miles)
- The Clockspire (12 miles)
- Osip Restaurant (5 miles)
- Teals. South Cadbury (4 miles)
Venues & Attractions
A short drive takes you to Bruton and the internationally acclaimed Hauser & Wirth contemporary art gallery. Bruton is also home to King’s Bruton, Bruton School for Girls and Sexeys School, while Sherborne School, Millfield and Port Regis are only twenty minutes away. Close by is Stourhead, one of the crown jewels of The National Trust – the perfect family outing. Plus so much more.
- The Newt (2 miles)
- The Bath and West Showground which is a huge outdoor events venue for everything from agricultural shows to religious gatherings is 5 miles away
- North Cadbury Court which is a lovely venue for weddings, parties and conferences is 3 miles away
- Hauser and Wirth Somerset. The internationally acclaimed Hauser & Wirth contemporary art gallery is under five miles away. Not only does it house some of the world’s finest contemporary art, but it has a garden by Piet Oudoff and when you eyes are full, you can stroll into the Roth Bar and Grill (see above) and do the same with your stomach!
- Haynes Motor Museum (3 miles)
- King Alfred’s Tower (7 miles)
- Longleat House & Gardens (20 miles)
- Stourhead House and Gardens (14 miles)
- Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum, Yeovilton (8 miles)
- Wheathill Golf Club (4 miles)
- Wraxall Vineyard (5 miles)
There are a number of local taxi companies. There is generally a taxi available at Castle Cary station during the day. However most of the companies are one man/woman bands and so booking is essential in the evenings and at week-ends:
Anzford Cars – 07831 249441
Castle Cary Taxis – 01963 351333
Craig’s Taxi – 07563612473 (Craig has an 8 seater with onboard wi-fi)
I T Cars – 07528515722
Mums Taxis – 07711572038
No 7 Taxis – 01963 351015
Buses from London
There is an excellent timetabled coach service – (see Superfast Timetable 2) from Hammersmith Bus Station to Wincanton run by Berry’s Coaches. Booking is essential.
We have two local train stations:
Castle Cary (1.6 miles) – trains from Paddington
Templecombe (10 miles) – trains from Waterloo
Satnav will bring very close to the house. For real precision just follow this link – Avalon House B&B which should show you exactly where we are.
If your route brings you past Stonehenge then there can be shocking delays between Countess Services and Winterbourne Stoke on the A303. This is the result of significant expenditure by the Highways Department on improving the road. The work is completed and the delays are worse than ever before. The term “highways planning” is surely and oxymoron. Anyway… here is a route that will get you round the problem.
Come off the A303 at Solstice Services. Go past the services and follow the signs to Bulford. From Bulford, follow signs to Larkhill and from Larkhill to Shrewton.
At Shrewton turn very sharp left on to the B3083 to Winterbourne Stoke. This ends in a T junction with the A303 at Winterbourne Stoke where you turn right and carry on down the A303. If it takes several minutes to turn right, console yourself with the thought that the longer the turn takes, the longer the delay around Stonehenge….
Avalon House B&B rates (including cooked breakfast) are £150 per night (minimum of 2 nights).
For the use of the whole top floor of the house, which includes 2 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a private sitting room is £200 per night (minimum of 2 nights).
Normal check-in time is after 2:30pm and check out should be by 11 am the following morning unless otherwise agreed in advance.
Please feel free to get in touch with any queries you may have – we will always answer as fully as we can